Liwonde National Park, nestled in the heart of Malawi, is a haven of natural beauty and diverse wildlife. Within this enchanting wilderness, a selection of lodges offer visitors the opportunity to immerse themselves in the park’s wonders while enjoying the comforts of modern accommodations. These lodges provide a gateway to unforgettable safaris, serene river cruises, and a chance to connect with the wild heart of Africa.
- Mvuu Lodge: Mvuu Lodge, operated by Central African Wilderness Safaris, is a flagship accommodation within Liwonde National Park. Overlooking the tranquil Shire River, Mvuu Lodge offers both tented chalets and stone-built units. The lodge’s design complements the natural surroundings, and its riverfront location provides a front-row seat to the park’s wildlife. Game drives, boat safaris, and guided walks led by experienced rangers reveal the park’s rich biodiversity, including elephants, hippos, and a variety of bird species.
- Mvuu Camp: Adjacent to Mvuu Lodge, Mvuu Camp offers a more rustic experience, with spacious safari tents blending seamlessly into the landscape. The camp’s proximity to the river ensures that guests are never far from the park’s vibrant wildlife. Boat safaris on the Shire River are a highlight, as they offer the chance to witness animals coming to drink and bathe in the river’s waters.
- Kuthengo Camp: Kuthengo Camp, meaning “wilderness” in the local Chichewa language, is another gem within Liwonde National Park. This intimate camp features four elegantly designed tents with en-suite bathrooms, offering a private and exclusive experience. Guests can relax on their private decks, enjoying views of the Shire River and the park’s picturesque landscapes. Guided safaris and nature walks provide opportunities to encounter the park’s resident wildlife and discover its hidden secrets.
- Liwonde Safari Camp: Liwonde Safari Camp offers a more traditional safari experience with canvas tents set on elevated wooden decks. Nestled within the shade of towering trees, the camp provides a sense of seclusion and tranquility. Its location along the Shire River allows for boat safaris and fishing excursions, as well as the chance to observe the park’s hippos, crocodiles, and a myriad of bird species.
- Chinguni Hills Lodge: Located on the higher ground of Chinguni Hills, this lodge offers breathtaking panoramic views of Liwonde National Park and its surrounding landscapes. The lodge’s chalets are designed to blend with the environment, providing a serene retreat after a day of exploring. Guided game drives and walks showcase the park’s diverse ecosystems, from open grasslands to riverine forests.
- Mawimbi Bush Camp: For those seeking an authentic and rustic experience, Mawimbi Bush Camp offers basic yet comfortable accommodations in traditional-style thatched huts. The camp’s simplicity allows guests to connect with nature in a profound way. Expert guides lead walking safaris, encouraging visitors to explore the finer details of the park’s flora and fauna.
- Anabezi Camp: Anabezi Camp, located on the banks of the Zambezi River, offers a luxurious escape within reach of Liwonde National Park. While not within the park itself, Anabezi provides a unique experience that combines the magic of the Zambezi with the opportunity to explore Liwonde. The camp’s lavish tented suites offer modern amenities while maintaining a connection to the natural surroundings.
Each of these Liwonde National Park Lodges offer a distinct experience within the enchanting realm of Liwonde National Park. Whether it’s the luxurious comfort of Mvuu Lodge, the intimate charm of Kuthengo Camp, or the rustic appeal of Mawimbi Bush Camp, visitors are invited to witness the park’s captivating wildlife, breathtaking landscapes, and the intrinsic beauty that makes Liwonde a cherished destination for safari enthusiasts and nature lovers alike.