Voi is a town located in the southeastern part of Kenya, within Taita-Taveta County. It is situated in the Taita Hills, near the border with Tanzania. Voi is known for its strategic location as a gateway to several national parks and wildlife reserves, making it a popular stopover for tourists on their way to experience the natural beauty and wildlife of the region. Here are some key aspects of Voi:
1. Gateway to Tsavo National Park: Voi is often referred to as the “Gateway to Tsavo” because it is the primary entrance to Tsavo National Park. Tsavo is one of Kenya’s largest and most iconic national parks, divided into Tsavo East and Tsavo West. Visitors traveling to Tsavo National Park from Nairobi or Mombasa usually pass through Voi.
2. Wildlife and Safari: The proximity of Voi to Tsavo National Park and other wildlife reserves means that the town serves as a hub for safari enthusiasts. Visitors can embark on game drives, guided safaris, and wildlife photography excursions in the Tsavo region. The park is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including elephants, lions, leopards, rhinos, and numerous bird species.
3. Accommodation: Voi offers various accommodation options, ranging from budget-friendly lodges to luxury safari camps and resorts. These accommodations provide an opportunity for visitors to immerse themselves in the natural surroundings and wildlife-rich landscapes.
4. Taita Hills: The town of Voi is located within the Taita Hills, which are part of the Eastern Arc Mountains. These hills are known for their unique biodiversity, including various endemic plant and animal species. The Taita Hills are a haven for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts.
5. Local Culture: Voi is home to a mix of ethnic communities, including the Taita, Giriama, and Kamba people. This diversity has influenced the local culture and traditions. Visitors can learn about the customs and way of life of these communities.
6. Voi Railway Station: Voi has a railway station that is part of the Kenya Railways network. The railway line connects Voi to Nairobi and Mombasa, playing a significant role in transporting goods and passengers in the region.
7. Agriculture: Agriculture is an important economic activity in and around Voi. The fertile soils of the region support the cultivation of various crops, including maize, beans, and fruits. Farmers in the area also rear livestock.
8. Infrastructure: It has seen infrastructure development over the years, including road improvements, which have enhanced accessibility to the town and the national parks. The Mombasa-Nairobi highway passes through Voi, making it a crucial transportation corridor.
9. Education and Healthcare: The town has schools, health facilities, and other amenities to cater to the needs of the local population and the surrounding communities.
10. Adventure Activities: In addition to wildlife safaris, Voi offers adventure activities such as hiking and trekking in the Taita Hills. The hills provide opportunities for nature walks and exploration of the lush vegetation and unique landscapes.
Voi’s role as a starting point for exploring the wildlife and natural beauty of Tsavo National Park and the surrounding region has made it an essential destination for tourists interested in experiencing Kenya’s remarkable wildlife and landscapes.